Users want to know when a particular record has changed.
A database has records that others will continue to amend, comment on and moderate.
Allow users to follow records they’re interested in by subscribing to notifications of changes made to them.
Users may be interested in following changes and comments made on a particular record. For example, they may be:
- Interested in the evolution of records they have created themselves
- A subject expert who is interested in reviewing changes, as a means to connect with other subject experts
- A moderator who wishes to monitor a record for contentious entries or malicious updates
- A reviewer who wishes to focus on specific areas of interest or expertise
Notifications could be sent to interested users in different ways, including:
- RSS feed
- Notifications within a contributor’s personal project area
- Changeset Discussions within a contributor’s personal project area
An example of a watchlist that shows recent changes made to pages
It is difficult to understand how a record came to be in its current or previous state.